Friday, December 29, 2006

2006 in review

OK, so I'm finally back online. Since we moved house in November it has taken us a bit of time to get organised with a internet connection... until now.

I thought I would catch up by doing a year in review which I have noticed a few bloggers have been doing.

Ok, so starting with the numbers...

2006 MILEAGE

JAN: 185
FEB: 158
MAR: 266
APR: 153
MAY: 128
JUN: 213
JUL: 272
AUG: 249
SEP: 152
OCT: 132
NOV: 103
DEC: 137

TOTAL: 2148

Weekly Average: 41k

Last year's weekly average was 38k

The year's highlights were 3 marathons, especially my first in April (Canberra 3:27) and Sydney (Sept 3:18). I ran PB's in all distances and really enjoyed the year.

The start of the year was all about lifting the k's in preparation for Canberra, which is just how it was progressing until shin splints took hold, brining the k's to a hault. It wasn't too bad though and I managed to squeeze 4 weeks of 70k's before tapering. The marathon itself was fantastic and alot of fun. I ran with 3:30 pacer most of the way before pulling away in the last 10k which was really satisfying.

After Canberra, I had a few weeks off, cashed in a 10k PB (41:32) and then enjoyed a few fun events such as poor man's comrades (first 30k), the great nosh and the soft sand half marathon at Manly. I missed the SMH half as my son was born the night before.

With all the marathon training I did at the start of the year, I deceided not to waste it and focus on another marathon i.e. Sydney Marathon. Preparation wasn't perfect as I ran Cities Marathon which damaged the legs for a few weeks and inhibited good training in some critical weeks (you live and learn). I did manage to get a solid block of 80k/week training in and after running a surprising 40:10 at North Head two weeks before, I was fairly confident of going close to 3:10.

It wasn't to be. I didn't feel great from the 1st km and it was quite hot day. I was glad to guts out a 3:18.

Since then, I have been taking it fairly easy as I was pretty tired (pysically and mentally) after a solid year's training (for me anyway), the arrival of a new kid, buying a new house and starting a new job.
I bought a bike (see left) and started getting around in tight pants on the weekends. This has been really enjoyable and a great change. I even got into the pool a few times.

Only in the last few weeks has the spark come back and I have been really keen to train. Whilst the running k's haven't been high (apx 40-50week), I have been trying to cycle 2-3 times per week (averaging about 80k).

So, in summary, I have really enjoyed my running year, the people I have met and trained with, the places I have been and can hardly wait for next year .

2 comments:

miners said...

Sounds like a top year all round mate - and with that little bundle of joy in the photo, 2007 can be only more exciting for you! Oh - you should have a lovely time with the new baby too ;)

Horrie said...

You've had a huge year, in running and life. Keep enjoying yourself and keep training and you will go from strength to strength. Hope you have a good 2007.