Tuesday, May 30, 2006

What next?


After pondering over the matter since Canberra, I have deceided that my next major goal will be the Sydney Marathon on 17 September. My other option was to focus more on speed and the shorter stuff - i.e. 5k, 10k etc. leading up to the City to Surf. I have deceided rather to focus on another Marathon as all my running will probably benifit from continued base building and plenty of time clocking up "easy" runs. After all I have only been running less than 18 months. However, I have just realised that the entry fee for Sydney is $123.50 (and that is for the early bird?) which is pretty tough after not running in the Sydney Half and blowing $65.

I had a few rough goals at the start of the year, some of which I have already achieved i.e. run a marathon, finish marathon sub 3:30. Two harder goals were to run sub 40 10K and sub 55 City to Surf. If I train hard I think I can break 40 mins for 10k however the 55 min C2S may be just out of my reach this year. There is a lot of miles to run before 17 Sept however I am going to set my mind to breaking 3:10 for the Marathon, which will be 4:30min/k's and a 17 min PB. Scary! If things go well, I would like to have a crack at a sub 90 half marathon as well.

2007 goals at this stage are, Six foot track (finish) and Gold coast marathon (sub 3:00).

As I put together a training plan I note the following:

  • Sydney Marathon is 17 weeks away
  • There are a number of fun runs that I want to do between then and now e.g. Woodford to Glenbrook, Sutherland to surf, City to Surf, Striders 10k's etc. I will definitely run these but no specific taper etc. - Marathon is the focus.
  • A rough guide to what I have planned is 3 x 50k weeks, 1 week rest, 3x60k weeks, 1 week rest, 3X70k weeks, 1 week rest, 3x 80K weeks then 2 week taper. See how we go!

Since Adam was born I have trained really well, alternating about 90 mins cycling one day with 90 mins running the next. Legs feel really fresh and I can finally say that the Mojo is back - it only took 8 weeks! I will continue with ths until I go back to work on the 13th.

Have got Striders 10k at Lane Cove planned for Sat and the Great Nosh on Sunday. Next Sunday I will do either the 9 or 21k at the Manly Soft Sand Classic. A road, trail and soft sand race in 8 days - what more cold you ask?

BTW...

2006 Mileage:

JAN:185
FEB:158
MAR:266
APR:153
MAY:128

YTD:890

No comments: