Thursday, August 16, 2007

Happy Days

Pulled up quite sore after City to Surf, so I had Monday off. I continued the cycling commute on Tuesday. That is, rode into and home from work. It is 15k each way. I also did the commute today. Therefore I have done 4 rides of 15k this week which I am really pleased with. It is only 15k but it does include a few big hills. It seems the hills is where I am lacking at the moment. I can keep a good pace going on the flats but when it comes to the hills I start reaching for the gears big time.

I rode home with Richard this afternoon and was doing my best to stay with him. At one stage going along military road I looked down and we were doing 42km/hr - and that's on the flat. I was "just" holding on to his tail. We also clocked 60km/hr going down Spit Hill (if you see my wife, don't tell her).

So the first part of the cycling adventure has kicked off and is going to plan. I wanted to do multiple shorter rides to get the body used to the bike again and now I feel like I can dreally attack the longer rides. This weekend is Northern Beaches Fat Ass but next weekend I will do 60k on the bike.

The other good news of the week is that I finally achieved another 2007 goal by running 23:45 in the corporate cup and getting that illusive "fast point". It was on my 28th attempt, but I finally made it - yay! I was actually feeling quite stiff and sore from City to Surf and was not expecting a good run, however after going through 2k in good time and feeling good, I thought it might be a good day. The 5th km up the hill was torture, but I held it together and came in right on the time (23:45).

Splits were:

03:41
03:50 07:31
04:13 11:44
03:56 15:40
04:25 20:05
03:39 23:44

My PB seems to get unnoticed when hanging around inhisshadow who did am amazing 9th PB in a row. He is now down to 23:05 and whipping my butt big time. His progress is really quite amazing and shows what good consistent training can achieve. The pressure is on him thought to go 10 in a row! C'mon!

So my attention now is on Saturday's 60k Manly to Palm Beach run. It seems like there will be only a few people joining me however I am quite determined to give it a good crack, even if I am by myself. I have't tapered and it is way longer than I have ever run before, but I wanna give it a red hot go and see what it feels like. I think my initial goal of 5.5 hours will be tough so I think I will just aim for 6 hours and walk the steeper hills etc. Boy I'm getting nervous.

It is interesting that I may achieve 3 goals I set myself at the start of the year in a 7 day period. That is 1) sub 60 City to Surf, 2) Get a "fast point" at corporate cup and 3) Run an ultra.

Better get to bed as I feel tired just thinking about how I am going to feel at the 55k mark.

Edit: PB's updated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Burglar I had faith you would get it this week! Coming up the last hill you really hammered home. Good luck today - I'm bummed I couldn't join you - next time.

Shadow....