Saturday, June 17, 2006

Poor Mans Comrades


Being drawn in from the numerous ultra race reports in the last 12 months on Coolrunning, I thought I would tip my big toe into this dark world and run the first part of the famous "poor man's comrades" - Opera house to Gosford (an 'up' year).

I drove into the city for the start at 7am, with the plan that Mrs Hamburglar would pick me up at Bobbin Head at about 9:30 or so. The 20 or so people that congregated on the steps of the Opera House had a quick photo and then we were off. John Mergler was out of site before Cirqualr Quay! After a few k's went by, a small group of 4 formed (myself, Tim, spud and friend). Spent most of the run with Tim and really enjoyed his company, speaking about numerous interesting topics whilst running easy but fairly briskly. We were running at about 5:30 pace which seemed to worry Tim somewhat, but he kept up the pace, trying not to let spud out of his sights.
MikeF joined us for a while before pulling off at Turramurra. We ran down to the start of Bobbin head national park where Kevin had his boot open with drinks. We just arrived when Spud and friend were taking off. We ran down the hill where Mrs Hamburglar and Baby Hamburglar were waiting. A very easy 30k's. It was a bit sad leaving Tim, kind of funny watching him continue to run away. I wanted to keep going with him to see how far I could go - but today was not the day for that!

Was waiting 20 mins or so before next few groups came through (see pictures) and then finally twopenneys who was in the midst of a tough week.

My thoughts were with Spud, Tim and the rest of the guys for the rest of the day, as I went about my business and I was glad to read that Spud and Tim both PB'd and John Mergler ran a fantastic time.

I fear this ultra thing is going to continue to draw me in!

Distance = 28.5km
Average Pace = 5:26
Average HR = 159






No comments: