Sunday, April 09, 2006

Canberra Marathon Report


Ran a 3:26:57 today for my first Marathon and I am really stoked.

Anita, Caty, Rachael and Simon all jumped in the car on Saturday morning and headed down to Canberra. We checked in to The Forrest Inn which was a small self contained apartment for $155. It was cheap and cheerful, but just what we needed, a place that allowed us to make breakfast for ourselves and a 2 min run to the start line. After me nagging, Rachel went in the 10k race and ran 56:20 which was pretty good cnsidering she had been sick in the last couple of weeks.

Simon and I woke up to the most perfect day to run a marathon - cold but not too cold and no wind. I was definitely nervous and the weet-bix and toast were hard to get down. Got down to the start line which as you can see from the picture (with alastair in the background) looks pretty cold (2 Degrees) in plenty of time. Th gun went off and O looked for Diggers 3:30 pacing group - I introduced myself to Blue Dog who gave me some really good advice on what to expect - all of which came true. Digger drove a great train - apx 30 people - and it was really helpful to run as a group. We went through 10k's in 48 mins and halfway in 1:42:40 (which is a half PB).

At about 30k's he instructed those of us that were feeling good to push on. I was felling good and deceided to lift the pace. I was disapointed on looking back after 1km that the train was still just behind me however soon I was away and running strong. Eventually crossed the line 3 mins ahead of goal time which I was just so happy with.

Simon had a tough day, cramping in the stomach and legs. He had to stop a couple of times, but still did well to finish in 3:43. He'll have to do another one now to make up for his disappointment.

Great race, well organised, great support from the coolrunners, good to meet a few more coolrunners before and after the race as well.

Splits:
10k - 48:00
20k - 49:20
30k - 49:20
40k - 49:20
2.2k - 10:57

1st Half - 1:42:40
2nd Half - 1:44:17

Average HR: 169 (88% of Max)

No comments: