Thursday, March 30, 2006

How I became Hamburglar

I took up running on 1 Jan 2005 as a new years resolution. I did however do a little running from time to time before this, but I wouldn't call myself a runner until 2005.

I was actually a handy sprinter at school. Somewhere in the pool room there is lots of ribbons and medals. I did little athletics for a while - Under 8's and 9's I think, and did quite well. I even made the state athletics champs for 100m in Year 8 (and btw came last). I never did any training, I just came out on the school athletics day and ran pretty fast. It was only the sort distances though. Anything longer than 400m and plenty were in front of me. I didn't enjoy the long stuff at all.

I was always active throughout high school playing footy and surfing amongst other things. I was usually in at least two footy teams throughout the winter and so would train 2 or 3 times a week and play twice as well. Most days I would surf, beginning as a body boarder and eventually standing up late in high school. Through the summer holidays I was in the water most of the day. Paddle paddle, paddle.

So I was pretty fit young guy. That was until I left school. The year after I left school (1993), I spent 6 months in India as a pseudo-missionary working with a minister of a church and living with his family. It was a great experience for an 18 year old and one which significantly changed my life. However, I stopped moving. No footy, no surfing. Just lots of curry!

Upon my return, life just took over and regular exercise was not part of it. Working full time, whilst being a full time uni student, didn't leave much time for much else. I played the golf irregularly and a bit of basketball now and then but nothing significant.

After I left uni, I got married, got a proper job and I started playing golf more regularly. I played most weeks and eventually became a single figure handicapper,. However I don't consider playing golf to be exercise. Any physical benefit was offset by hamburgers, chips and beer that was consumed during and after the game.

So as my twenties progressed, so did my fitness, waist line and poor health. At times, when the guilt of being so unfit engulfed me, I would put on the runners and head out the door. I could only run for about 30-40 mins and it was hard work. I would sweat and pant and wake up stiff the next morning. I often promised myself that I should start to exercise regularly, but I just didn't enjoy running and evidently it wasn't sustainable.

Meanwhile my sister in law Caty was getting more and more serious about her training and started doing triathlons and eventually a half ironman. The whole family went down to Canberra late in 2004 to cheer her on. It was a great day and she went really well qualifying for the 2005 Foster Ironman. That day was also a big day for me as well. I was shocked into reality. Seeing all these fit and healthy people of all ages do a HIM, made me realise just how unfit I had become. I walked away realising that I had to do something about it.

Getting back home, I was looking at a few triathlon websites when I came across an article by Mark Allen (Ironman legend). The whole gist of the article was the importance of training at a low intensity using a heart rate monitor. I don't know what aspect of the article convinced me, but I decided it was worth a shot.

So on New Years day 2005, as a new years resolution to get fit, I borrowed a Heart Rate monitor, calculated my target Heart rate (80% x 220-age =154) and off I went. I immediately had to slow down as my HR took off. I was barely doing more than walking pace and any slight incline would force me to walk in order to keep the HR down. I was determined to give it a go and I continued on.

I vowed to run three times a week and mostly I did. Initially, I did a lot of running on the treadmill. This was because I was interested in how fast I was going whilst keeping the HR down. I remember that I could run at 8km/hr (or 7.30 pace) for 10-15 mins before needing to slow down when my HR shot up.

I was however enjoying myself. The low intensity was obviously easy, it wasn't uncomfortable, I wouldn't wake up stiff and it wasn't hard to be motivated to keep running regularly as it wasn't something that I dreaded.

It wasn't long before I started to improve and the milestone of dong 4k in 30 mins was reached, so I continued. I started reading more about running and came across the coolrunning website. I also heard of a half marathon in May and decided that this would be my goal. My goal was to run at 10k/hour i.e. 2:06. It was a lofty goal, but kept me going. I increased the running to 4 days a week and slowly built up my long run over 10k.

All my running was done at a heart rate of less than 154. The speed that I could run at keeping my HR at this level slowly but surely increased. Soon it was 8km'hr, then 8.5 and so on. I remember the day that I did my longest planned run of 17k before the event, I just couldn't believe that I had run so far. I eventually could run at about 6:15-6:30 pace, but to run at 6:00 pace for 21k I thought was going to be tough.

We all went up to Foster to cheer Caty in her Ironman. There was a 5k race on the day before and I decided to enter – my first ever fun run. I wore my HRM and just before the start I looked down and I was so nervous that my HR was already at 150. I can't quite remember my time but I was stoked – something like 23-24 mins.


My next fun run was Striders 10k at North head on my 30th birthday and I ran a surprising 46:42. I couldn't believe it – but boy was I sore. I had to work all that day preparing for a party that I was hosting that night – it was torture!

I immediately changed my target for the half marathon, two weeks later, to: sub 2 hours.

I can't really remember much about the day. I was really nervous, it was cold and there was a huge crowd. My HR was above 154 before I even started running. The first lap was OK and I waited for the fatigue, however there was no sign of it. I even started to lift the pace. I couldn't believe I was going so well. The last few k's up Argyl and down hickson was so painful. I finished in a startling 1:45 just under 12km/hr, or as I would start to call 5:00 min k's. I was extremely sore but was on a huge high. I went home and posted on coolrunning for the first time.

This low intensity training had worked wonders and had officially become hooked on running. Only a few weeks later I was planning my first Marathon – Canberra 2006.

As I write this (April 2008) nearly three years has passed and I have run 4 marathons, 2 six foot track marathons and a 60k also. My 10k time is now sub 40 and half sub 90. Apx 95% of my running has always been at 154 or below. The low-intensity stuff has served me well. Could I have been faster with faster training? Maybe, but the secret of my success to date has been my consistency. I have never been significantly injured and have maintained a solid amount of training over that period. Will I continue with just low intensity stuff. No. I believe I am at the stage (3 years of running) where my body can probably handle more intensity and I am willing to risk injury for some better race performaces. Let's see how we go.

But I do know that I am now a runner and I can’t imagine myself ever not being a runner. It has become part of me. If I don’t run I'm just not the same. I love the escape, I enjoy the challenge, I love the freedom and being outdoors. I have also met some wonderful likeminded people.

Looking back at myself in my late 20's is depressing. I lacked energy, I was unproductive, tired and lazy. I am so much happier, healthier and so much more full of life. I am so grateful I have discovered running and with some of my recent illnesses, hopefully I take it less for granted. So may it continue!

4 comments:

Ellie80 said...

great read :)

inhisshadow said...

Nice post Burglar, so I assume it will be Ironman 2009 for the next challenge on your horizon

Jen said...

How bad do I feel? After pestering you for so long, I have only just got around to reading your story
:-(

And what a great story it is too. In fact I've been inspired to dust off the HR monitor and take it with me on my spin tomorrow. I wonder what 147 BPM feels like ;-P

BTW looking forward to watching you make your IM debut next year :-)

Anonymous said...

G'day Hamburglar,
I'm a 15 year old from Tassie who runs with the Hash House Harriers running club and we all get nicknames. Mine happens to be Hamburglar! Just looking at your blog makes me realise how many great and talented runners there are out there.

Good on you mate!
Hamburglar